Wednesday, August 13, 2008

"O say, can you see my eyes? If you can, then my hair's too short..."

I'd not realized there would be a third Hair Fair until I saw Vint Falken's post on it and on her entry in the Hair Fair 2008 photo contest. Hair Fair is a charity event that supports Locks of Love, an organization that donates wigs to children who have lost their hair due to chemotherapy, burns, and other conditions.

I've honored Bandana Day in a previous year, and I will do so again this year.


The submissions to the contest are delightful (especially Ms. Falken's), and I'm sure I'm out of my league, but it was so fun I had to try. Prevailing winds on the hills of Whimsy meant I could display an edited copy of Jordan (auburn) that I'd bought at Goldie Locks. Jordan is already very long... but I remembered photos I saw long ago of Diane Witt and how I so wanted to have such hair. I edited it to make it about three and a half meters long. The wonderful "Gelato" Windlight preset made for a yellow and green sky that re
minded me of a lovely wallpaper for a recent Linux distribution, and after taking some pictures, this one seemed the best to me:


I fear the method I told GIMP to use for scaling did not work at all well, and I'm sure that will count against me in the contest. But that's not the important thing. What's important is that it made me pull out that edited hair (ouch!) and try to be creative. I'm happy with the results.

P.S. Really, without antialiasing there's not much one can do when scaling an image where nearly horizontal or nearly vertical lines prevail. I will experiment further with GIMP and let you know which scaling methods prove best.

No comments: