Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Paging Nancy Archer...

The folks who run the SL Fashion Police blog put up photos they take or that are sent to them of avatars committing fashion faux pas. I would not at all be surprised to find myself featured there someday, but in any case, they turn up some, shall we say, amazing things, and I make a point of reading it.

I listen to the Going Broke with Daphne and Tamara podcast as well. They interview interesting people in the world of SL fashion, and even though I resist the temptation to shop at the places they describe, lest I in fact go broke, it's still a great podcast.

So imagine my surprise and delight when the two came together. The March 17th episode of the podcast featured TheDiva Rockin, who heads up the Fashion Police. It was enjoyable... and TheDiva mentioned that she'd post an entry with a "Mystery picture" that appears to show a woman somewhere around fifty feet tall at Diversity Hair. TheDiva tried to take a picture from the same POV of her standing where the purported Amazon stood, for scale.

So... some things about the image make it look fake; the woman's feet are not apparent, and it looks like her image has been stretched. Another theory, which I think likely, is that forced perspective was used.

[UPDATE: I have to laugh at myself for writing that; it's like the people who ask me "Are those real?" This is SL; nothing's real... but I think you know what I mean by "fake" here, i.e. that the image of the woman was inserted later, and not the result of the photograph of the shop.]

I am keeping an eye out for the woman in the picture. If she has a real giantess avatar, I'd love to talk with her. If not, I'd still love to talk with her. Either way we share an interest. If you read this, ma'am, I hope you'll do me the honor of emailing me.

(Do note that the coordinates TheDiva gives in the entry will take you to a private home that has restricted entry; perhaps DH moved recently?)


In the meantime, I thought I'd take a few forced perspective pictures in the store myself...

3 comments:

TheDiva Rockin said...

Awesome! I totally need to learn to use my camera lol.
Glad you enjoy the blog...and the podcast!
Sorry in advance if you get blogged! :)

Melissa Yeuxdoux said...

There are lots of great tutorials on SL photography; Torley Linden does great ones, and the flickr "Second Life" group has lots of good info.

For forced perspective in particular, the Wikipedia entry is good

Cheyenne Palisades said...

The SL Fashion police blog is wet-your pants funny!

I listened to a podcase by Daphne and whomever. They didn't talk about S: that week. I couldn't figure out if they were serious or parodying a certain type of fashion show-- or perhaps themselves.