Friday, March 07, 2008

I'm sorry, Ireland

I read somewhere that a woman, ashamed of how she'd treated Rory Dall O'Cathain, apologized, and in response he composed "Tabhair Dom Do Lámh".

In a little over a week it will be Saint Patrick's Day... and I want to apologize to every single Irishman and Irishwoman for my countrymen.

In the United States, Saint Patrick's Day seems to be mainly an excuse for idiots to drink themselves stupid on beer dyed green. The Chicago River is dyed green, too... which really means it's just a different shade of green than usual. (I like the usual green better.)

I will conduct my usual reserved protest; I won't go to any parades or drinking establishments, but I will spend the day listening to U2, the Chieftains, Clannad, Van Morrison, Dervish, Susan McKeown and all the other Irish music I can gather together, and see about finding some images from the Book of Kells to put on my computer as wallpaper. (Ah.. here we go!)

(And rest in peace, Derek Bell, wherever you are. Your music and your humor will not be forgotten.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen. I feel similarly uncomfortable about Halloween. It's not pleasant to see one's religious customs sanitized, misinterpreted, and mass-marketed. And both holidays (and I use the word "holidays" loosely) are celebrated with little regard for the customs that they are supposed to represent. Somehow I can't imagine any self-respecting fae wearing one of those sequined green tuxedos that Leprechauns are portrayed in. Let alone lugging around a small cauldron full of gold coins. I too will quietly allow the day to pass, perhaps meditating on Celtic history while listening to something spiritually uplifting.

Anonymous said...

Another "Hallmark" holiday eh?