Sunday, December 02, 2007

Gifts for your favorite geekette (is that a word?)

Girls Gone Geek has posted a list of gift suggestions for those considering what to get the geeky girl/woman in one's life. I certainly wouldn't mind an eee under my tree (no, I'm not dropping hints... I have too much stuff already)... a couple of comments, though:
  • Maybe I'm showing my age, but... I gulped hard when I saw the $250 item on the 'penny pinchers" list. Eep! Inflation hasn't upped the ante that much, has it? I mean, for that you could buy someone that $200 Wal-Mart Linux desktop box and a decent amount of RAM.
  • Crank radios are neat (No, that's not a radio that only picks up Art Bell's show...), but I've owned and given the original Freeplay crank radios, and they have a problem: whatever governs the spring's unwinding must take considerable stress. It breaks before very long, so that when you wind it up, it unwinds frantically, sounding like it's about to explode, and you don't get to listen for very long at all. Do check whether the construction has improved in that regard.
It's worth a look.

P.S. Actually, maybe you can't get that $200 Linux box at Wal-Mart. I hear that they've sold their inventory, and I can't find it on the web site any more.

UPDATE: Thanks to commenter
Rohan Jayasekera for info about the improvement to Freeplay radio construction.

2 comments:

Rohan Jayasekera said...

A few years ago Freeplay switched from springs to alternators. Now your cranking generates electricity directly. No more springs; end of problem! BTW their products can be bought online at www.freeplayenergy.com .

Raul Crimson said...

You are TAGGED. ;-)
More info in this link.