Saturday, March 24, 2007

Aging

We went out for breakfast this morning in RL. A table or two over, I noticed an elderly woman with pale red hair piled atop her head. She wasn't scowling as such, but she didn't look happy. "Could that be Melissa at 70?" I asked myself.

(I have bought child and adolescent avatars so I can create pictures of what I imagine Melissa might have looked like at those ages... but I'll never age her. I don't want to get old. I want Ray Kurzweil's estimates to be pessimistic, so that I can count on being downloaded when the Singularity comes. I've lost enough of my capabilities, and I fear that it's downhill from here. I suppose that's part of the appeal of SL.)

Suddenly a younger woman approached and greeted her. Her smile was like the sun coming out from behind clouds, and I thought maybe getting older isn't entirely horrible.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Surely if you get 'downloaded', that'll be a copy of the patterns in your brain and 'you' will still age?