Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Hollow hair

"We are the hollow men
We are the stuffed men..." --T.S. Eliot

I happened to be at a store when the owner/designer was there demoing one of the outfits in person. Lovely lady, with phenomenal hair. I IMed her asking where she got it, or did she make it, in which case I'd buy some right away? She gave me a landmark. I thanked her, and after buying an outfit, I headed to the landmarked spot.

Sure enough, it was gorgeous... until I tried on the demo.

SL has some kind of bug having to do with dueling textures with alpha; it doesn't get the occlusion (which one is "in front" and hence blocks the other from sight) right, with paradoxical looking results that would make Escher proud. This hair must trip up that bug, because as you pan around yourself, checking the hair out, tresses vanish and reappear in a way that breaks verisimilitude badly.

Were it not for that bug, I'd buy the hair in a heartbeat. Please, LL, could you fix it? [Wanders off to the JIRA...]

No comments: