Friday, June 10, 2011

Ominous News

Word has come from King Minos that the gentle, smiling dolphins who normally play about the shores of Crete have disappeared. I know not the cause, but in the coming days, you will find me at the temple of Poseidon, earth-shaker and ruler of the sea.

UPDATE: Here are Christopher Smadga and I, praying to Poseidon:


UPDATE: From the Perseus web site, the Homeric Hymn to Poseidon (minus the line numbers in the translation):
I begin to sing about Poseidon, the great god, mover of the earth and fruitless sea, god of the deep who is also lord of Helicon and wide Aegae. A two-fold office the gods allotted you, O Shaker of the Earth, to be a tamer of horses and a saviour of ships!
Hail, Poseidon, Holder of the Earth, dark-haired lord! O blessed one, be kindly in heart and help those who voyage in ships!
UPDATE: I've about cried myself out, for now.

Aeneas Anthony has announced that the Minoan Empire sim will close on July 6th. There will be two more chariot races, on June 19th and 26th, at 1:00 p.m. SL time (or 1300 if you prefer 24-hour notation). I beg you, if you have not visited the empire,  do so while you can. It is a wonderful place, and I will never forget it. Thanks to King Minos, to the Architect, Aeneas Anthony, and to all the wonderful Minoan citizens.

UPDATE: A photo taken from the beach with no dolphins to be seen:


UPDATE: we are not resigned to our fate; see "Not Over Yet".

2 comments:

ameira_loire said...

Our revels now are ended. These our actors,
As I foretold you, were all spirits and
Are melted into air, into thin air:
And, like the baseless fabric of this vision,
The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces,
The solemn temples, the great globe itself,
Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve
And, like this insubstantial pageant faded,
Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff
As dreams are made on, and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.

Noyl Boucher said...

Oh, what a pity, I discovered the place when it was still multisim, and liked it a lot.

(But I understand, as my once sim wide own place is now only a tiny little mainland house ^_^)