- BIOSTAR N68S3+ AM3 NVIDIA MCP68S Micro ATX AMD Motherboard and AMD Athlon II X2 245 Regor 2.9GHz Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor; a Shell Shocker at newegg.com today for $90, which is $30 off the usual price. It's no Phenom, or even a quad core, but reviews of the CPU are almost universally positive, some saying they've successfully overclocked to 3.5 GHz. The motherboard is low end (no gigabit ethernet, won't handle a CPU that takes more than 95W, PCI Express 1.0, DDR3 1333) but serviceable.
- HITACHI Deskstar H3IK10003272SP (0S02860) 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive for $80.
- Same DVD burner as before, for $20. They're pretty much a commodity nowadays.
- Same case as before... but this time the default power supply will do.
- Same RAM as before.
- Palit NE5S450SF1101 GeForce GTS 450 (Fermi) Sonic 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card for $130. Decent mid-range card, nice and short to fit in the cute little Micro ATX case, doesn't require more than the X-QPACK2 power supply can deliver.
I feel a little better now.