Wednesday, April 22, 2009

You know, it's not just in Second Life...

I know, I promised not to count down, but tomorrow (or maybe now--do they use GMT, or South African time?) Ubuntu 9.04, aka "Jaunty Jackalope", will be officially released.

I was hoping to do something in its honor, namely take a picture in SL with two friends replicating the "circle of friends" Ubuntu logo, or more specifically the photo that was, for a while, intended to be the gdm (GNOME login manager) login screen for the early Ubuntu "Warty Warthog" release... but then I remembered the controversy.

If you'd asked me, I'd have said that the people photographed were from a dance troupe. One man and two women, probably in their 20s, fit and slender, each clasping the other two at the adjacent elbow, standing in a circle (OK, a triangle) and looking up at the viewer. All dressed reasonably--well, the man only had on jeans, which store owners of the "no shirt, no shoes, no service" variety would object to--but...

One of the women had the audacity to be nicely endowed, and perhaps the studio was somewhat colder than usual.

As Roger Zelazny wrote in Lord of Light, "Then the fit hit the Shan."

The Release Candidate artwork was changed so fast your head would spin. I was disappointed. It seemed to me to be knuckling under to the prude contingent.

I still hope to recreate that image... but it will forever be tainted by the response to the original.

UPDATE: Since you probably never saw the artwork in question, here it is:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, seems they think a B or C cup is too well endowed?

Dale Innis said...

omg n-pples!!

:)