Friday, April 24, 2009

Composition

I really, really need to work on composition, and remind myself to get close to the subject and not try to take in too much at once.

The other day I went to Apollo... I hadn't been there for a while, and it's a gorgeous sim that's been around at least as long as I've been in SL. I especially like it by night by the torchlit columns, walkways, and stairs, and one of the glowing, particle-emitting... well, if they weren't glowing and particle-emitting, I'd think they are birdbaths... that invite you to donate in support of Apollo (which I do, and I hope you will as well) caught my eye, and I took a picture:


I converted to JPEG and uploaded it to flickr, and it was OK, but... it was kind of all over the place (as opposed to stuck in the middle with you, I guess... sorry), so I tried cropping, with this result:


Better (although I fear that displays a bit of narcissism), but then I read "How to crop a photo for better composition" over at Photodoto, and the advice of not putting the subject dead center (perhaps related to the Rule of Thirds?), and ended up with:


which I think bears out the advice, so I will strive to compose better in the future.

No comments: