Thursday, April 30, 2009

"Me and my shadow..."

The new RC client has the code for shadows (aside from Macintosh,alas). It's been announced at New World Notes, and in the comments you can find out how to enable it.

I have a 9800 GT, and ended up dropping back a bit from all the knobs set to 11 to up the frame rate a bit. People have reported some very weird things going on with some skins, and I notice little sky colored dotted lines around the edges of the strands of my hair. (If we're lucky, those are aspects of the same bug.)

In any case, I'm going to go take some pictures, including one I've wanted to do for a long, long time. More news as it happens.

UPDATE: Those pictures will have to wait; snapshots I take with shadows activated come out solid black--and even in world, my body doesn't cast a shadow, just my attachments.

UPDATE: The "downloads" page has dropped back to a 1.22.x version of Release Candidate, so I guess they think the 1.23 needs more work--most likely because as it was it had a change that corrected a bug that many in SL, most notably skin makers, had come to depend on. That change gave rise to a HUGE outcry.

UPDATE: ...and I can see why; using the 1.23.x client, my eyelashes look like Tammy Fae Bakker did them for me.

Yet another UPDATE: they did something to get rid of the eyelash effect. (Whew!)

No comments: