Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Guess I shouldn't do that

Running SL on a laptop with Intel integrated graphics turns out to be a dangerous activity. After a few minutes, the screen went partially to weird colors and started blinking periodically, followed by a hard crash that took a power cycle to get out of.

So I've learned the hard way I guess. See you all when I have access to a more capable system...

...and for those of you in the US, have a joyous Thanksgiving, surrounded by friends and happy (ideally both real and virtual) family.

UPDATE: Thank you, Gwyneth and Susyn, for your comments. The graphics are turned all the way down. I just updated the laptop (a Dell Inspiron 1525, if memory serves) to Intrepid Ibex, and firing up the SL client is an immediate kill of X Windows--I switched to a text window and logged in and ran "shutdown -r now" typing blind. Time for a JIRA entry--I can understand it running slowly, but it shouldn't flat out crash X.

UPDATE #2: Intel integrated graphics are explicitly listed as not being supported. I can't say I blame LL for that, as it's a very low-end chipset.

2 comments:

Gwyneth Llewelyn said...

Hi Melissa! You can at least try some settings from Edit > Preferences > Graphics. Turning all WIndLight preferences off (Atmosphere Shaders and Water Reflections should definitely be off) should do the trick, so starting with the "Low" settings might allow you to log in.

In my case, I manage 30 FPS that way on my Intel-card-based laptop! Granted, it's on the lowest possible settings, but... it works, and it works great!

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Same here. 4 year old laptop running on a wireless connection. Sometimes more stable than the desktop with 4x the resources and a direct connection via cable modem. Much depends of the graphics settings.

Happy holiday! See you in-world.