Monday, June 09, 2008

Like moving through molasses

Last night I found myself unable to move... I'd walk a distance, and then would be dragged back to where I was. Ah, well, I figured, I have to sign off anyway, so I apologized to my friends and signed off.

Then came this morning, and SL was acting very strangely... My walk seemed to be at about half speed, and flying was like moving through molasses. I tried the RC client, and then the "official" client (weirdly still called the Linux "alpha" client, just as it was on my rez day). It made no difference.

And then something happened:

Melissa Yeuxdoux gives a hug to don Fulano de Tal

and I remembered something from last night. The hug/kiss attachment I use has a bug (or is it a feature?): other people can invoke it, causing me to hug/kiss them. I should take a look to see whether it's something I can set to permit or forbid. In any case, don Fulano de Tal (names changed to hide the fact that I've forgotten them) took advantage of that facility and I saw

You ask don Fulano de Tal for a hug.

but nothing happened afterwards--or nothing seemed to. After I gave the hug to the long since disappeared don Fulano, movement went back to normal.

So, should you find it impossible to move at normal speed in SL someday, try stopping all animations. I know I will.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interestingly bizzare.

Anonymous said...

"names changed to hide the fact that I've forgotten them"
LOL