Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Behind in RL, too....

I've yet to be the first to post about a neat build in SL, as I've noted before. I find out about places in Mermaid Diaries, or on New World Notes.

Well... it's the same in RL, I guess, because I've not mentioned a couple of things:

First, I've been totally remiss in not mentioning Firefox Download Day. With the release of version 3 of Firefox, there's a drive to set a world record for the number of times a program has been downloaded in a day. I hope that you are familiar with the Firefox web browser, and that you download the version of Firefox 3 appropriate for your computer and operating system. Download Day actually started at 6:16 p.m. GMT on June 17, so I (and you!) haven't missed out completely on the chance to help set a record as I type this.

Second, June 17 marks another milestone for the Open Source world: version 1.0 of Wine, an implementation of the Windows API, is now available. The intent of Wine Is to make it possible to run programs written for Windows on other operating systems, most notably Linux. It's not perfect, even at version 1.0, but nonetheless, take a look at the Wine Applications Database; it's grown considerably more impressive as Wine has matured. [Must not... do Orson Welles... imitation...] If some Windows application important to you will run with Wine, perhaps you can finally move to Linux and escape the clutches of the Evil Empire.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I may put Linux on my PS3 one day ;) but I've downloaded Firefox 3. :) Not all the add-ons I use work yet but it seems good so far. :)

Anonymous said...

Looks like they got the record. :)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7486668.stm
:)