Sunday, June 22, 2008

"I'm gonna send ya back to schoolin'..."

After reading the discussion of the initial SL experience and why those who do stick around do so on New World Notes (initially here, with followup here), and after realizing I barely remembered my initiation into SL, I headed to Orientation Island (the public version that anyone can go to) to go through the process again.

<duh>It went a lot more quickly this time.</duh> The first time, I would overshoot, have trouble walking in a straight line, fly into the roof or into a wall. After a mere year and ten months, I've learned how to control my avatar--OK, aside from the overshooting and flying into things. Another obvious source of the brevity of the experience is that I didn't set up the appearance of my avatar.

This Orientation Island is the version that I went through initially, so if I understand rightly, it doesn't tell me much about what people go through now. I hear that one has to deal with a HUD these days, and I don't think that's a good idea. Give people the basics of moving around, communication, and self-defense, and leave things like HUDs for a class. Then they can actually enter the world and make friends, which is what really seems to be the key to staying in SL.

No comments: