Friday, November 02, 2007

Not a happy camper

As I write, traffic is still taken into consideration as a measure of popularity or relevance in SL. Unfortunately, this has given rise to attempts to drive up one's traffic rating by means other than offering compelling content and goods.

They do this by setting up poseballs so that whoever sits on them is paid a pittance to just sit there (or in a few cases to be animated to scrub the floor, wash a window, or play a guitar). As you know if you've spent much time at all in SL, this is called "camping," and chairs equipped with such poseballs are called "camping chairs."

Camping is a blight on SL; campers consume server resources and increase lag for those who are actually trying to do something.

I've just discovered camping has been set up in a place I visit fairly often. I'm surprised, because it's near a store whose owner is making major advances in the state of the art in the products he sells. A hair vendor whose products I love and buy more of than I really should has also set up camping chairs--those who sit there long enough can get hair... to be fair, I think the equivalent L$/minute is considerably better than the average camping chair.

So... I'm driven to the point of announcing that I will stop doing business with establishments that have camping. It will take many people doing so to be noticed, and even then I think it will really take LL's abandoning traffic as a measure of popularity or relevance to put a stop to it... but I can't implicitly condone camping by rewarding those who cause it.

P.S. I just noticed that this is post #300. Good heavens! Thanks to all of you who've read my meanderings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you completely. I only recently just got started in Second Life, and I've already learned that when you do a search for a place, the "traffic" column is completely untrustworthy. The best places I've found have mid range traffic, it seems.

And yay you for using Gutsy Gibbon! I just downloaded the 4_3 client this morning; seems to be working fine for me, but I see that a lot of people are having some serious problems with it.