Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Google sets up to facilitate per-country censoring of Blogger blogs

Shortly, if you follow a link to a Blogger blog at .blogspot.com, Google will route you to .blogspot. where is your two-letter country code. As I type, the domain for India, country code = in, exists. You can go directly to it.

The idea is that the . version can be filtered to match whatever censorship the corresponding country wants to impose. (Which I would suppose mean that they won't let you directly go to .blogspot.us; better learn to use proxies.)

It's a shame that Google feels the need to do such countries' dirty work for them.

I do have some NSFW photos here--not many, and they're behind page breaks. If you should suddenly discover that some articles or images are no longer accessible, I'd be very interested in hearing about it. Comment here, or email me at mel_yeuxdoux@yahoo.com.

No comments: