Tuesday, April 27, 2010

snapshot metadata

If you use Linux (and GNOME), open up a directory you have RL photos in and right click on one of them. Choose the "Image" tab, and there you will see a lot of information: I was taken on a Mumbleflex BS9000, so and so f-stop, 1/120th second exposure, ISO 400, on March 25th 2009 at 3:15 p.m., and I'm X pixels wide and Y pixels high I bet that someday there will be cameras with GPSs that record where you were when the photo was taken..

Right click on an SL snapshot. You'll see the image size.

Many are the times that I wish I could remember where I took a picture in SL , the camera's orientation, what Windlight preset I was using, what my graphics settings were, the draw distance, the pseudo-time of day on the sim... but that data isn't there. I expect that just about anybody who's taken a picture in SL has wished that as well.

Please consider voting for VWR-19178, which asks that such information be stored in the metadata for SL snapshots.

UPDATE: Sorry! I fixed the link to the JIRA entry; it now takes you directly there.

UPDATE: I rummaged around my cell phone's settings, and it can store the location as determined by GPS with the pictures it takes. How much easier it would be to do in SL!

No comments: