Friday, April 04, 2008

New computer

I've taken the plunge and put together a new computer, and it's very nice indeed to get 34 fps with the graphics sliders run up all the way.

I didn't go whole hog for graphics; I'm still behind the curve there, with PCI Express 1.0 ("How pathetic," the gamers all say) and running with an nVidia 8600 with only 256 MB of RAM ("Hahaha 1 p0wn j00!" some gasp out between guffaws), not even running SLI with two or more graphics cards to run up the parallelism even more. (At this point, we should give some of the gamers oxygen; they're laughing so hard they're having trouble breathing.) I have, though, made the move to AM2 bus, dual core, and 4 GB of RAM (DDR2 is very inexpensive; I've actually read speculation that the RAM glut is thanks to manufacturers ramping up to deal with demand caused by the obscene resource usage of Vista... followed by people running screaming from Vista back to XP or avoiding Vista altogether).

Nevertheless, SL is a much nicer place to be, and I'm far less plagued by lag.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope you get lots of enjoyment out of your new pc. :)
Also you've got almost the same graphics card as me. I have an nVidia 8600 but it's the one with 512 of RAM. :)