Thursday, August 09, 2007

Do Patent Leather Prims Really Reflect Up?

One of the wonderful things about SL is that it gives us, visually anyway, that gift Robert Burns asked for... so when a friend recently IMed me that I was somewhat exposed, I was startled.

I double checked the edit I'd made to notecards controlling the items I wanted to be transparent. I commanded them to reset, which should have set them to their initial state, which the aforementioned edited notecards said should be transparent. Nonetheless, my friend could see them... and emailed me a photo as proof.

Other friends assured me I was observing the proprieties... and I trust that they tell me the truth, so what is different about the friend who IMed me? We compared client settings, and while I am far from thoroughly knowledgeable about that subject, we didn't see anything significant differing between us. My friend is investigating further on her own, as she has an item that to me looks proper, to her looks exposed. I am very curious about what is going on.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's possible it could be your friend's video card, or perhaps the video driver(s) for the card. I had the same experience with a friend who could see my Xcite attachments -- to my embarrassment -- although they were properly invisible on my screen.

Anonymous said...

The friend responds:

At this point I hope I can still be considered a friend. I must make a sincere apology to Melissa for all the grief I have caused over being able to see something that everyone else could not. She was correct in her view that she was appropriately clothed at all times. The fault was indeed in my computers, plural, as I had the issue in several systems. The solution was a video BIOS undate which, when applied to each of the respective video cards made things appear correctly. At least the similar parts on my avatar now appear correctly and I will presume that Melissa and all other avatars with similar components will appear correctly also. This has been a humbling experience.

Melissa Yeuxdoux said...

You are most certainly still my friend! It was an educational experience--who'd have thought it was the video BIOS, of all things?