Monday, September 27, 2010

The Case of the Persistent T-Shrt

About that T-shirt... I decided to change clothes, and I did. Well, sort of.

SL thought I'd changed clothes. My inventory showed me as wearing the outfit I'd changed into. The only problem was that I kept seeing the T-shirt. I took off all clothing; the T-shirt was still there. I cleared cache... several times. It was still there.

Switching from Kirsten's client to Imprudence made the T-shirt go away. Back to Kirsten's... and there the T-shirt was again.

I did eventually get Kirsten's client to see the top I had on instead of the T-shirt. I should have written down all the things I did, in case it could have been of some help in debugging.

Nnow I "just" have the problem of Kirsten's client consuming all available RAM and then crashing, most recently within a few minutes of logging in... and that without doing anything more than panning around a bit and taking a look at editing a skirt to lengthen it. (Why can't you stretch a prim skirt?)

So... I have a choice between Imprudence, which is fast and doesn't leak RAM like a sieve, but which has all the deferred rendering bugs that LL's client has, and Kirsten's client, which looks great... for the few minutes it takes to suck down 3.3 GB of RAM (I "only" have 4 GB) and die. Someone should make a "stamp foot and grimace" animation.

UPDATE: I shouldn't give the wrong impression. Last night, Kirsten's client chugged right along for over half an hour without consuming, as far as I can tell, more than about 900 MB of RAM. (Having started programming on a minicomputer that ran BASIC on four ASR-33 Teletypes and had a whole 16K of memory, I can't believe I typed that without wincing.) So the question is, what's the difference between that and the other RAM-sucking runs?

3 comments:

Maggie Bluxome said...

I was wondering that was going on with you last night! I must have seen you log on/log off 15 times. :)

Anonymous said...

Why not try the Phoenix client?

Melissa Yeuxdoux said...

I did. It complained about libnotify not being installed. I installed it, and it still complained. Perhaps it wants a 32-bit version.