Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The ongoing popularity of Apollo_009


One of the things flickr lets you see is how many people have viewed each of your photos, along with a graph of total views per day for the past few days. For serious photographers, it's probably useful information. For me, it's just interesting, much as Google Analytics data are interesting... and the photo that seems to be the most viewed of all I've put up, getting views just about every day, is the one above, Apollo_009.

My photo nomenclature is pretty mundane; rarely do I come up with creative titles for them--just the name of the sim and a sequence number, so, as I'm sure you recognize if you've been around SL for very long, you know that this is the ninth photo I took in the Lost Gardens of Apollo. (And if you haven't been there, by all means go. I believe it's one of the longest-lived scenic areas in SL--the New World Notes post about it is over four years old.)

So this photo has been viewed 2,781 times since it was posted in March 2007. It obviously predates Windlight; the background is flat. Why has it been viewed so many times, I wonder? It's probably not that people trip over it while searching for images of the Greek god or the moon missions; I have a bunch of other photos taken on that sim, viewed nowhere near as many times. I know that when I changed the classification of my images, trying to accurately categorize them, viewership plummeted. It's a rare photo since then that has as many as a hundred views. It is a puzzlement.

No comments: