Thursday, July 30, 2015

I hope I know the answer to this, but...

We are now in the world of fitted mesh clothing, which if I understand it follows the "bones" in the avatar (which term isn't really accurate. because some of those bones don't correspond to any bones in an actual human body but are added so mesh clothing will fit better, but that's not important right now).

If that's true, then what I seriously hope is true is this: that a knee-length skirt will be knee-length whatever the sliders on your body and legs are set to, and ditto for an ankle-length skirt.  If you know me, you know I want to be as leggy as I can, and that has made for difficulties with skirts. I have had to either cause a scandal in Caledon when my slider settings keep my ankles from being decently covered or tediously stretch the strips of virtual cloth that make up skirts... and for mini-skirts, oh my!

Is my thinking correct? I will end up taking the plunge and finding out by experience, but if you know the answer I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

1 comment:

Aliasi Stonebender said...

more than a few days late, but I had gotten used to not checking your blog nearly so often with so few updates. The reason they're called "bones" is due to a 3D animation term - any model has 'bones' which determine how it moves, but naturally these bones do not have to correspond to anything in reality, and often don't. (Your eyes aren't a RL bone, yet they appear in the avatar skeleton so they can move around, for example.)

In general, your thinking is correct, although in general, it also depends on how the item is weighted and rigged to begin with. Think back to the default LL avatar skirt and how it stretched and bended with the avatar at different settings; it was essentially a very simplistic 'rigged mesh' built into SL. The main advantage of modern mesh is they can make a much better model and tinker with it so you don't have to worry about things like glitch pants so much.